Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well. We've been granted a brief reprieve from the heat, humidity, and smoke, which meant that I got to go outside for more than ten minutes this morning. That's not what I'm here to talk about though. Today I'm going to be talking about ten movies that I saw on VHS in 1995 that came out on VHS in 1995. This list won't be in any particular order just because it'd be too difficult to figure out what order I saw them in. And even release date order isn't all that accurate since I didn't necessarily see them immediately after they were released. With that out of the way, let's get into today's topic.
First up is Star Trek Generations. I saw this sometime in the late summer of 1995. The retail release didn't come out until February, 1996, but for some reason Paramount Home Video released a rental only version of the tape on July 18th, 1995. I remember renting the movie before my dad bought the retail version in 1996.
Next is Batman Forever. I got this for my birthday from my godfather in 1995. Like all the Batman movies until The Dark Knight in 2008, I missed Batman Forever in theaters in the summer of 1995, but, of course, I had the comic book adaptation, I'd get one of the toy releases for my birthday from my grandparents, and I got the storybook for the movie at the Scholastic Book Fair. So I was really excited to actually get to see the movie. Especially because Batman Returns had scared me when I saw it on VHS in 1993. It's also special because it was bought for me, and so I didn't have to ask my parents if I could watch it because it was my tape, not theirs.
Next is The Lion King. My mom had taken my siblings and I to see this in theaters in the summer of 1994 and so it was really exciting to get it on VHS in the spring of 1995. I think someone got it for me for Easter, but it's possible that my parents simply bought it for my siblings and I just because since Mom had seen it with us in theaters, and it's a Disney movie. So naturally that was something my parents would buy for us, knowing we'd watch it more than once. And we did. Many MANY times. We didn't even upgrade to the DVD when that came out in 2003. My sister eventually got the movie on DVD for herself, but it wasn't until a few years ago that I picked up the 2003 DVD release for my own collection, along with a different copy of the 1995 VHS.
I'm sure we got Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie on VHS before we moved in January, 1996. Because, I do remember watching it at the log house, which is where we lived until 1996. I know we didn't rent it though. I think it was either a birthday present or a Christmas present from my grandparents. For the longest time I thought this movie opened the third season of the TV show since I didn't see the majority of that season until I got the DVD box set in 2014 since it didn't air on Global anymore, and I didn't have access to Fox Kids until just before Power Rangers Zeo started in 1996.
Next is A Goofy Movie. I think this was a birthday or Christmas gift for me in late 1995, because I couldn't eat regular food and was strictly tube fed at the time, so my family put extra toys, books, comics, or videotapes in my stocking to make up for that. I still love this movie and watch it pretty often on both VHS and on DVD.
Next is Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home. We never owned this one. We rented it though. I'd loved the original Free Willy when I saw it at school the year before and was excited when I found out there was a sequel coming out. I haven't seen the movie since then, but I do own it on DVD in a triple feature set with Free Willy and Free Willy 3: The Rescue.
I'm cheating a bit with this one since it's three movies in one box set, but I had to include The Star Wars Trilogy VHS box set on this list because it's how I saw the Original Trilogy for the very first time, 13 months before the Special Editions came out in theaters. So it's a very important home video release for me and the reason I have a copy of this box set in my current VHS collection.
Next is The Santa Clause, starring Tim Allen. My parents loved Home Improvement when I was a kid, so naturally, they would've wanted to rent a Disney movie starring Tim Allen as Santa Claus. We never owned it though. It was a rental AND we watched it on TV whenever it aired on The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights during the holiday season.
Next is Casper. This is another one we rented but never owned when I was a kid. I've talked about this movie a lot on my blogs over the last few years because I own it on VHS now and have been able to watch it every year since I got it.
Last, but not least, is The Pagemaster, starring Macaulay Culkin. The reason this movie (and this tape) is last on this list is because I actually don't remember if we rented it or I just watched the movie when it aired on TV. I remember seeing the movie when I was a kid, but we never owned the movie on home video, and I know we never saw it in theaters. So, we either rented it or watched it on TV. I'm pretty sure we rented it though. Regardless, I own it on both VHS and on DVD now, though I have yet to watch it.
That's it for today's list. Out of all of these VHS releases, Free Willy 2 is the only one I don't currently own. Casper and The Santa Clause are the only movies on this list that I don't own on DVD or Blu-ray. Anyways, that's it for me for today. I'll be back tomorrow for this week's Rental Recommendations. I have a very special post for you tomorrow. Until then, I'll catch you on the flipside. Peace out!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment