Hey everyone, happy Saturday! Or Caturday if you're a cat person apparently. I dunno. I can't keep up with everything the internet claims is a holiday or day of celebration or anything like that. It's time for another Rental Recommendation. This week I'm taking a look at Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country on VHS. The POV for this post is a Star Trek magazine looking at the VHS release in the summer of 1993. Let's get into it!
After being available only in a box set with the other five Star Trek movies, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is finally available on home video on its own. Which means that it's finally available to rent. This is the final mission of the Enterprise under the command of Captain Kirk and the entire crew from the original series. It does not disappoint. It has nods to The Next Generation, as well as to 25 years of Star Trek history.
I'm not sure how well the box set it was originally part of has been selling, nor why Paramount chose to release it that way first. Especially because they waited a year and a half to release it rather than releasing the movie on home video last year following the end of its theatrical release. The movie is really good though and worth renting at any video store in your area. Is it the best Star Trek movie to date? Maybe not, but it's the best Star Trek movie since The Wrath of Khan came out back in 1982.
While this movie is the last one to star the entire original cast, we have learned that the next movie, which will be the first to star the cast of The Next Generation, which is about to start its final season, will feature some members of the original cast and is due to release in theaters next year, following the show's series finale.
Definitely check out Star Trek VI on video this weekend. Even if you saw it in theaters back in 1991. If you own the box set that includes this video in it, you're good to go. There are scenes in the movie that weren't seen in theaters, which makes it doubly worth watching again and again.
Here in 2026, I watched this tape a lot. My dad had that original box set of all six movies when I was growing up, and that's how I watched it. I also had a taped off TV version that one of the nurses at the hospital gave to me during one of my stays during that period. I think it aired on TV sometime in 1992 and the nurse taped it for me whenever it aired, and then brought the tape in for me when she worked next while I was still in the hospital. I have the individual release in my VHS collection currently, and I'm gonna watch it in the very near future.
That is it for me for today my friends. I'll be back next week with more nostalgic goodness. Until then have a great rest of the weekend and I will see you all soon. Peace out!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment