Hey everyone, how's it going? I'm doing pretty well. I'm here to do a review of Star Wars from 1977. I know, I've reviewed it several times on my other blogs, but, this one fits into my theme for this blog discussing the past through the past. Because Star Wars came out in 1977, the POV for this review is going to be someone writing a review for it after seeing it in 1977, so a little further back in time than I would normally go, but worth it. Let's get into it.
Star Wars is the first movie in a very long time that I've wanted to get back in line and watch again as soon as the credits rolled at the end. It's just that good. Cinema these days have been very dark and cynical. A testament to the times we live in right now. Even Jaws, which is great on a technical level, is scary. Star Wars harkens back to the days of the science fiction serials and adventure films of the 1930s and early 1940s. The era of swash-buckling heroes and villains who were you knew were villains. And I loved it.
Unlike Mr. Lucas, I didn't grow up watching Flash Gordon on TV. Instead, I watched Adventures of Superman starring George Reeves, as well as Star Trek and Batman in the late '60s. Yet, I understand Mr. Lucas's fascination with these classic films through watching and enjoying Star Wars. I guess Storytelling never changes.
I was 18 when I sat down to watch American Graffiti in theaters four years ago and related to the teenagers in that movie. Mr. Lucas recaptured the spirit of that movie in Star Wars. Luke Skywalker does not start out as a hero. In fact, when we meet him at the beginning of the movie, he's a whiny farmboy, itching to get off the farm and explore the big city, similar to Ron Howard's character in American Graffiti. But, it's fascinating to see how George Lucas captured the same feeling in both movies. Mark Hamill plays him incredibly well.
As soon as Darth Vader walked on screen, I knew he was menacing. He didn't even have to talk to convey that feeling. I can see him being the scariest part of the movie for some kids who see this movie. But that's how villains should be. Scary. And mysterious. The only thing we know about Vader is that he was once Ben Kenobi's apprentice, but betrayed the Jedi Knights, wiping them out and murdering Luke's father, Anakin.
Princess Leia is amazing. She's sharp, willful, and a strong personality. Carrie Fisher is the only woman in this cast, but she's such a strong presence that she carries the film on her shoulders. Particularly when Luke and Han Solo screw up rescuing her and she ends up leading them out of the detention block. Sure they end up in the garbage masher, but they escaped.
Han Solo, played by Bob Falfa himself, Harrison Ford, and his partner Chewbacca the Wookiee are in debt to a gangster named Jabba the Hutt. We only know this though because Solo was confronted by one of Jabba's goons, named Greedo, and Solo killed him in cold blood. So throughout the movie, we don't quite know what side Solo is on, except that he hates the Empire, but also isn't too thrilled about the Rebel Alliance either. He does come around in the end though.
Star Wars is THE movie to see this summer if you haven't seen it already. There's no other movie like it. At least, not since The Wizard of Oz came out back in 1939. So go see it.
That's it for this review. Of course, here in 2026, I've seen A New Hope numerous times on VHS, DVD, and Disney+, but I'm planning on going to see the movie in theaters when Lucasfilm re-releases it theatrically for the 50th anniversary next year.
Alright my friends, that's it for me for today. I'm going to be appearing on the VHS Club Podcast tomorrow night to talk about Spaceballs with Katie and Nat so that'll be fun. I'll be back here for another Rental Recommendation on Saturday, so stay tuned for that. Until then, peace out!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment