Hey everyone! Welcome to Rental Recommendations, the new blog post series where every week I pick a movie on VHS to recommend to rent as if we were still in the '80s, '90s, or early 2000s. That's the perspective I'll be using for this series. This first edition will be on a great '80s parody movie, and I'll be recommending it from the perspective of 1988, 1997, and 2000, as those are the years the movie was released on home video. Let's get into it.
Did you miss Mel Brooks's latest movie when it was in theaters? Did you see it, but want to watch it again? Have no fear, because Spaceballs: The Video is now available! Unfortunately, it's not an instant cassette like it was in the movie itself, but it is finally available on home video. While Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert were not favorable to this movie, I believe you will absolutely enjoy it. Especially if you're into parody.
It's been ten years since Spaceballs came out in theaters to mixed reviews from critics. However, in celebration of the 10th anniversary of this parody masterpiece, Spaceballs has returned to home video. You'll rediscover the Spaceballs and their plot to steal the air from it's neighboring planet, Druidia, as well as their inept leaders, President Skroob, Dark Helmet, and their idiot flunky, Colonel Sandurz. Luckily they're opposed by Princess Vespa and her entourage of fools, Barf and Lone Starr. Spaceballs is the movie to rent this weekend.
Spaceballs is back on home video! For the first time ever, the movie is available on DVD! Don't have a DVD player? Not to worry, MGM remembered to re-release it on VHS, because even though it's the year 2000, DVD players are still expensive, and not everybody can afford them yet. Relive the buffoonery, the sheer stupidity of the villains (and heroes), and the homage to numerous science fiction movies and TV shows (surprisingly). The jokes will be making you laugh at ludicrous speed! May the Schwartz be with you!
There you go folks! My first rental recommendations for Spaceballs in 1988, 1997, and 2000. Of course, here in 2026, the movie is available on Blu-ray, 4K, and on streaming (somewhere), but back then, all you had was VHS, unless you were rich enough to be able to afford a Laserdisc player, and then later, DVD. Again, I'm not always going to do Rental Recommendations this way. I just thought it'd be fun to do it this way for Spaceballs, just because it IS a parody film. Have a great weekend everyone and I will talk to you later. Take care.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment