Hey everyone, happy Friday! I had a really busy week this week so I didn't get to post as often on here as I had planned on doing. Today we're in 1999 as I talk about a book that isn't in my usual wheelhouse when it comes to what I post on either of my blogs. It's a biography of sorts of Michael Jordan called Playing for Keeps: Michael Jordan and the World He Made, written by David Halberstam. I got this book as a get well present from a friend of mine from youth group when I was in the hospital in March 2003, but I never read the whole book, just a few chapters. I decided that with Space Jam celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2026 (this year in the outside world), I would read this book and write about it on here. So, let's get into it!
While the title implies the book is solely about Basketball legend Michael Jordan, it isn't. What Playing for Keeps is is a book about the NBA and Michael Jordan's role in it as Basketball started to become very popular in the '80s and '90s. It's also about the other NBA stars, their teams, the owners of the teams, their agents, and their coaches. Which makes it a more fascinating read than if it were just a biography about Michael Jordan.
I'm not a sports person, so I never followed Michael's career, nor did I follow Basketball when I was growing up. However, Basketball was everywhere. Aside from Michael and other players of the time, including Charles Barkley, appearing in Space Jam three years ago (30 years ago in 2026), I played Basketball in elementary school and had a net beside our garage for most of my teenage years and early adulthood, as well as a ball. So while I played Basketball a little bit, I've never followed it on TV or the radio.
The book is a great snapshot of what Basketball was like in the '80s and '90s, which is great because it's not written from a nostalgic point of view. The author was a historian so he wrote this book with lots of historical perspective, both in the overall history of the NBA in the '70s, '80s, and '90s, but also within the lives of players such as Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Scottie Pippen, as well as coaches like Phil Jackson, and Chicago Bulls owner, Jerry Krause.
I really like this book because not only does it provide needed historical context for those of us who aren't into Basketball or any other sports, but it also provides insights into the players, without going too personal into their lives at the time the author collected the information for the book. Seeing celebrities like Jordan as real people makes it easier to understand their choices because they're people, just like you and I are. Which means they're just as fallible as everyone else is.
Overall, I found this book to be interesting throughout despite me not being interested in sports. It's not a typical biography or autobiography. It's super informative but never monotonous. Which makes it a really good book.
That's all for today. I'll be back tomorrow for this week's Rental Recommendation, and then I might be back on Sunday for a special TV episode review. Until then have a great evening and I'll talk to you later. Peace out!

No comments:
Post a Comment